Temporary Residence Permit (Pink Slip)

The 'Pink Slip' is a special temporary permit issued for Non-EU citizens who come to Cyprus for long-term purposes. This type of permit can be issued for a period of 1 to 4 years (with a limitation of absence period not more than 4 months). A Temporary Residence Permit (Pink Slip) could be issued for a period of 1-2 years upon first application and will be easily extended for a further 1-2 year period thereafter.

Temporary Residence Permit (Pink Slip) – Visitor Visa

Visitor Visas are normally provided to applicants under the following categories:

  • Spouses from third countries that are married to Cypriot citizens/or parents-in-law from third countries/or underage children of foreigners (younger than 18 years) who have applied for family reunification and a residence permit;
  • Third country nationals that apply for an extension of their visitors visa and which have enough funds from abroad to support themselves (or foreigners who have enterprises in Cyprus);
  • Applicants who have received temporary entry permits from consular authorities of Cyprus abroad; having the term FINAL on them, may apply for an extension when special reasons are taken into consideration (e.g. humanitarian reasons, householders of property in Cyprus etc);
  • Non-EU citizens who open real estate in Cyprus automatically obtain the “Pink Slip – Visitor” status. Nonetheless, this does not grant such persons the right to employment.

Temporary Residence Permit (Pink Slip) - Student Visa

Each student who takes a long-term course at a Cyprus educational institution must obtain permission for long stay. Students from non-EU countries can be issued visas by an Embassy / Consulate of the Republic of Cyprus in the student’s home country or by the Migration Department of Cyprus. International students must report to their educational institution immediately upon arrival to register and complete other formalities required for obtaining further temporary resident permits.

Temporary Residence Permit (Pink Slip) – Employment Visa

Applications for the issue of Entry and Temporary Residence and Employment Permits must be submitted by the Cypriot employer through the District Office of the Aliens and Immigration Unit of the Police or at the Central Offices of the Civil Registry and Migration Department in Nicosia. The applications should be submitted along with the contract of employment certified by the Department of Labor of the Ministry of Employment and Social Insurance, which is the competent Department for securing that there are no Cypriots or citizens of Member States of the European Union, available or adequately qualified for the specific job or post prior to recommending the employment of third country nationals. The applicant must proceed to register with the District Office of the Aliens and Immigration Unit of the Police. The maximum duration of employment in most cases is four years (exemptions may apply).

Companies who meet the criteria to be classified as foreign interest companies are also eligible to employ third country nationals in Cyprus. They must meet the following criteria:

  • The majority of the company’s shareholders or ultimate owners should be foreign;
  • The company should operate from their its own fully fledged offices in Cyprus;
  • New companies should prove that they have direct foreign capital investment amounting to at least EUR 171,000 brought legally to Cyprus from abroad.

Documents required for Temporary Residence Permit (Pink Slip) application (where applicable): 

  • Copy of sale agreement or rental agreement or title deed;
  • Copy of employment contract duly signed and stamped;
  • Proof of funds deposited in a personal bank account;
  • Passport(s) copy (plus copy of first page and last entry stamp);
  • Pension certificates + translation and any other source of income such as interest, rental income, other investments. The applicant must provide evidence of steady and regular income, adequate for the maintenance of the applicant and his/her family, from external sources;
  • Bank guarantee (as required);
  • Marriage certificate + translation with apostil (Russians exempted);
  • Birth certificate for children + translation with apostil (Russians exempted);
  • 4 photos for first issue (1 photo for renewal);
  • Medical Insurance which is automatically renewable